Thursday, June 21, 2007

1. Take an Around-the-World Cruise


I am not new to ships. In fact, my first experience was a long sea voyage from the US to Japan when I was about 6 months old, aboard the SS President Wilson (postcard on the left).
In 1970, my family again returned to Japan on an American President Lines ship, this time the Wilson's sister ship, the SS President Cleveland.
These voyages probably shaped my life in some way, because I later joined the Navy and spent 10 years near the water, taking journeys on various ships and submarines. And later, after the Navy, I've enjoyed being a passenger on several cruises to the Carribean with my wife and kids. It was nice being "pampered" on the cruises, and I've always enjoyed visiting exotic ports, so, now that it will be just my wife and me, I think the idea of a 'round-the-world cruise is looking very attractive.
But cost is a factor... For the romantic in me, nothing would compare to the 'round the world maiden voyage of Cunard's Queen Victoria in 2008. But its gonna cost 30k for a room with a view. Think about it, though! 106 days of luxury...
Holland America has a 2008 voyage aboard the ms Amsterdam. This 113 days... and costs $25k for a view, $50k for a verandah. Cunard is looking better. But Holland America's itenerary takes a little jot into the Black Sea... interesting.
So is it worth it? How do I prepare for something like this? Stay tuned...








No comments: